Brian Kelly officially kicked off the 2014 Notre Dame Football campaign today with his annual pre-camp Press Conference. While a good bit of the presser was full of coach speak (are you really surprised) there was actually a lot of information provided about the 2014 football squad.
News and Notes:
- Notre Dame will have its media day on August 19th. I do believe that is also when the normal game jerseys as well as the Shamrock Series uniforms will be revealed
- No Captains were named However BK did say that he has an idea who the leaders are and that in most cases with this squad the leaders are also the best players
- Jared Grace is recovering very well from his broken leg suffered last season. He is running and the coaching staff is optimistic that he will be available for the season opener.
- Mike Heuerman had another hernia and had to have surgery. He will be out of action for about a month. Unsure if he will be available for the season opener but I would venture to guess he will be a few games getting back into shape.
- Tony Springman suffered a setback with his back and will be placed on medical scholarship. His playing career at Notre Dame in done. BK says he will start participate in team activities
- Nick Martin and Ben Councel have recovered remarkably well from their injuries suffered last season and have really set the bar on how to return from injury
- Fall camp with begin at Culver Academy on Monday. They have two fields side by side and provide many chances for team building
- BK mentioned that freshman Daniel Cage and Pete Moukwah are in the best position right now to back up Jarron Jones at the Nose Tackle
- BK will announce a starting QB as soon as he feels that either Golson or Zaire show to him that he is “the guy”
- Davaris Daniels has shown an improvement in leadership but consistency has always been his issue. BK looking for an improvement in that this season
- Cody Riggs is fitting in with the team very well since he has transferred to ND from Florida. BK said that when he arrived on campus he was a bit out of shape but he is all caught up now
- Sheldon Day and Chris Brown have been great leaders during the summer
- BK believes that Folston, Bryant, and McDaniel will all contribute to the offense this season
- BK REALLY REALLY likes freshman Durham Smythe. He raved about his strength and competitiveness on multiple occasions and said its going to be really fun to watch him play. Expect to see plenty of him as well as Tyler Luatua on the field this season. Luatua is up to 260 pounds and also received praise from BK.